Having just completed my second to last semester of my Undergraduate career ( 2 A’s and 3 B’s thank you very much!!), and dealing with countless idiotic teachers, who really did nothing to further my education, I have decided to make a list of pet peeves/ things that I will never do if I become a teacher.
1) Say “Look in the book” – This is probably my number one pet peeve. Seriously, if a student comes up to you and asks a question, they’ve obviously looked in the book. Even if you wanted to verify with the student, you could say, “Hey John, did you already look in the book for that answer?”. But don’t just say “The answer is in the book”. I had a math teacher who insisted every answer was in the book, and it wasn’t, which was super annoying.
2) Hold students after class for one students misbehavior – This is also really awful. I went to a private school, and the same kids were in your class year after year, and there was this one really terrible kid who always made us stay after class. I can’t count how many times I had to stay after school for that kid.
3) Just read off the powerpoint – I understand if you refer back to the powerpoint for the main points, but if you are just going to stare at the powerpoint and read word for word, then you’re just wasting yours and the students time.
4) Return papers four weeks after you said they will be returned
5) Pick your nose in the corner – Seriously, I had a teacher do this one time. We can see you. And it’s disgusting.
6) Have favorites – Favorites aren’t fair, even if you’re a favorite. It’s okay to like someone better, but don’t treat them any different than the worst kid in the class
7) Sit behind your desk the whole class while we read the book – I had a college G.E. professor do this to the class. He would literally give us a block of pages to read, while he sat behind his desk staring at his computer doing God-knows-what. At that point, why not just cancel class.
There are many more things I will never do as a teacher, but I’ll save them for another post! Hope everyone had a fantastic new years!